The goal of higher education is to shape the personality and character of the human being for their own betterment, and also making them capable of sustaining in the society and in nature and ultimately for the development of a nation. A large cohort of students is from rural and urban areas, with different socioeconomic backgrounds. The college environment is very new for them and they find various issues during their campus life. The student mentoring system helps to provide guidelines and support to the students in different avenues of academic and personal aspects. Under the Mentor-Mentee system, the college aims to improve the overall personality development of the students and to inculcate qualities like problem solving, decision making, stress management, self motivation and human values.
- To develop healthy relationship between students and teachers
- To ensure academic and personal excellence of the students
- To inculcate the human values among the students
The teachers should interact with students on discussion mode on topics and issues related to their personal and academic aspects . The discussions should be thought provoking. Teachers should be empathetic towards the issues of students and should value their thoughts. It is essential for giving exposure, guiding thoughts, and realizing their values.
The topics of discussion may include :
- Issues related to coping up with new atmosphere, situations that are unfamiliar to them
- Students aspirations and future plans
- Career guidance and counselling
- Encouraging self motivation
- Responsibility towards society
- Influence of peer pressure
- Valuing relationships
- Behavioral and disciplinary aspects
- Health and hygiene and mental well being
- Encouraging talents and extracurricular activities
1.There should be maximum 30 mentee per mentor.
- A student coordinator should be included in the group.
- Mentor should maintain a record of all the details of their mentees
- Groups should be made from same department.
- Groups should remain for entire course duration.
- The mentor should conduct regular meetings and discussions on any problem may it be academic, financial, psychological, etc.
- There should be a continuous review of students’ progress.
- The interactions and meeting should be recorded.
- The mentor should identify the poor learners and interact with them to resolve the problem.
- The mentor can involve the Parents or Head of the institution for reforming of the student issues.
Responsibilities of Mentor
- Introduction of group and discussion of the mentor – mentee system.
- Call of meeting and record of details in the form about goal setting & action plans,
- Mentor shall advise and take necessary actions about the attendance of mentee with regards to University rules.
- mentor shall keep the track of the overall academic performance of the mentee though counseling
- Keep a track of attendance and academic performance.
- Provide academic and emotional support
- Contact the parents and inform them about the progress of their ward.
- Arrange remedial teaching, if necessary.
- Encourage the students to take the advice and guidance of the mentor whenever essential
Responsibilities of Mentee
- Fill the information in the prescribed form
- Attend meeting regularly
- Seek advice from the mentor whenever required
- Discuss with the mentor your progress in academics and other fields